Monday, August 17, 2009

Pesto recipe - revisted

My morning has been consumed with PESTO! I know I made a post a little while ago about dried basil and pesto, but I wanted to revisit it again today.


I went out early to pick some basil from my garden. I washed each leaf and took the stems off. I made a quick trip to the grocery store to buy the pine nuts and Parmesan. When back home, pulled out all the necessary dishes/tools I would need and began!

Basil, Oil, Pine nuts, Garlic, and Parmesan cheese (I also use mozzarella).

Small grating.

Measuring everything out.

I put the oil, nuts, garlic, and cheese in before the basil.

Mix and create Pesto!

I made 3 batches this morning and put 1/2 cup in each zip-lock bag. I freeze the bags and use them all year!


Again, here's the recipe:

Pesto Recipe:
3 cups of fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup olive oil
3-4 cloves of garlic
1/2-3/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese (we did half mozzarella to cut the cost)
1/4 cup pine nuts (we also did some with almonds)
optional: 1/2 cup fresh parsley - we didn't add this

Mix in food processor or blender until pureed.

Unless you have an endless supply of basil, pesto can be a bit expensive. Paying lots of money at the store for a small portion of basil is out of the question. Pine nuts were $16 a pound!! and the parmesan was $5 for 8 oz. Olive oil is also not as cheap as canola oil. I am grateful for my garden and the mounds of basil it produces :) My husband and I love pesto so much, it's worth the cost and trouble of making big batches to enjoy the hole year - conveniently by reaching into the freezer!

No comments: