Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Spring Top Contest 2011

I finished my Spring Top For the Made By Rae spring contest! Yeah! I've been thinking about what I would make for the past month and finally got a around to finishing it this week.

I started out with this top from Nordstroms for my inspiration. However, after drafting a pattern on my own I wasn't a huge fan of the scoopy neck line.

I bought THIS Simplicity pattern (2418) because it was similar to the shirt I wanted and tweaked it a bit. Because I didn't like the neck line, I made it higher and added lining inside. The original pattern was just hemmed at the top. I didn't like the idea of a straight hem that could be flipped over at anytime to see the inside of the fabric. I realize that my shirt isn't much like my inspiration shirt, but that's okay. I'm happy with what came out of the process.

I bought the fabric last fall at JoAnn fabric right after I found out I was pregnant. Instead of making something then, I figured I'd wait until after the baby was born.

Here's the shirt:
I'm not quite ready to be wear fitted tops yet after just having a baby. Thus the choice for a looser front.

SLEEVES:
The sleeves are capped sleeves with a lined panel over the shoulders dipping down in the front and back.

BACK:

My favorite part of the shirt is the gathered back. It just adds a bit of character to an otherwise plain back.

NECK:
As I said above, I wasn't a fan of the scoop neck. I actually raised the neck line up a bit.

There are 3 gathers on each side of the neck line. These are from the original pattern.

FRONT:


One last look at the final project.

Head on over to the Made By Rae blog to see how you can view the others in the Flickr pool.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, I am really impressed. I like the pattern on the fabric, and I love the sleeves.