Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Altering a Child's Winter Hat

Winter in Wisconsin is brutal, to say the least. Negative temperatures and wind can get one down, but adequate clothing sure helps. Last winter my baby wore a 0-3 lumberjack/aviator hat. It was perfect for the elements outside. Unfortunately, that hat no longer fits his 12 month head. It's been hard for me to find a similar hat. Yes, I get stuck in a rut with something I love and have to have the exact same one when something happens to the first.

A few months ago I was at the Land's End Inlet and found a steal of a deal on this hat! $9.50 for exactly what I was looking for. It is lined with berber fleece and wind proof - exactly what I wanted! I don't necessarily love the color, but it can grow on me.

The only problem is it's a tad bit large. The head size is okay and will work fine, but the chin straps are just too big. With a one year old who loves to pull things off his head, this would not do. I decided to fix the problem. :)

I started by cutting the snap tab very close to the ear flap. I didn't want to deal with unpicking the fabric and getting it out nicely. It should be fine because of the nylon fabric. I expect little or no fraying at the cut off site.

Once I had the snap tab off, I stitched the cut edge closed. Nothing fancy - I used a fairly small overcast stitch. I just wanted to ensure no fraying to this piece.

Another view of stitching

Snap flap complete

Once the snap flap was closed off, I measured where to place the snap. I put the hat on my son's head and put my finger where I wanted the snap to be - not too hard. I then pinned the snap in it's new place.

I sewed the snap on by using a back stitch. If you're unsure what a back stitch is, you can find it here . I also tried to follow the original stitching and was also careful not to catch any of the berber fleece while sewing. My needle only caught the green nylon.

Because I hand stitched the snap in place, I will easily be able to unpick the stitching and sew it back into it's original place if desired in future years. For now we are ready to enjoy the winter.

No comments: