Wednesday, September 9, 2009

What to do with Zucchini . . .

This garden season has been just as plentiful as last year. I can't get enough of our fresh produce! One vegetable in particular always has a bounteous crop: zucchini! I've done all I can think of to do with zucchini:
- bread
- saute
- breaded zucchini
- added to sauces
-topping for pizza's
-cooked on top of pasta
- shred and add to green smoothies
- and FREEZE (discussed here)



I purposely let a few of our zucchini's get rather large. When they're big they have more seeds inside and they aren't as tasty. I like to make bread with the large ones. But this week I've been breaded out. Instead, I grate the zucchini up and freeze it for later use.


Slice zucchini into more manageable chunks for grating.


Grate and measure into 4 cup bags.

Freeze (in the past my zucchini has lasted for close to a year - until the next season).


My zucchini bread recipe calls for 2 cups of grated zucchini. When you freeze it grated you loose a lot of the liquid once it's thawed. Because of this I freeze 4 cups in one bag hoping that it will be closer to 2 cups when it's thawed. Sometimes it is still a bit less, in which case I will use 2 frozen bags and add a bit more floor (if it goes over the 2 cups).



Zucchini Bread Recipe I use:
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar

- Mix the above -

2 tsp vanilla
2 cups grated zucchini

- Add

1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

- Add above all at once

3 cups floor
1/4 tsp baking power

- Mix in last two ingredients


Bake at 325 degree's for 1 hour in two 9x4 pans, test with knife to make sure it's cooked all the way through.

No comments: