Tuesday, September 1, 2009

How to make Sun Dried Tomatoes


I love the summer months because of our garden! I don't like the heat of the summer, but I love what the heat does for plants. And tomatoes sure love the heat! We've harvested a lot of tomatoes already, but there are tons more outside we're waiting to turn red.

My husband will go out and pick the tomatoes that are just starting to turn red and let them ripen inside. That way, the don't split because of the heat and bugs and other elements don't get to them before we do. I'm still just waiting for all the green ones to turn red . . . there are so many of them, they are weighing the branches down!!

One thing I love is sun dried tomatoes. I love pastas and sauces with sun dried tomatoes included. These are not "sun" dried, we used our dehydrator. It didn't take much longer than a day of drying and they were done.

They need a good 6 or 7 hours (perhaps longer if it's humid) - check them periodically and add time if not dried all the way. They shouldn't be too crispy. There can be a little pliability in them, but if they are too wet, you can run the risk of mold with storage. I set the temperature gauge at about 135-140 degrees.

Slice the tomatoes 1/4 - 1/3 inch thick and put them on the tray. They don't need anything on top. They will turn out perfect and full of flavor just the way they are.

Enjoy!

DIRECTIONS:
Slice tomatoes 1/4-1/2 inch thick
Place on dehydrator tray spread out


Adjust temperature to 135-140


Dry for 6-7 hours - checking periodically for texture


Take off tray and store in zip lock bag


***We store and use ours over the whole year. I know you will find varying information about storage time. We didn't have a problem with the taste or them going back. They may even store for over a year?***



Most of the tomatoes I've done so far have been the Roma variety. They were ready on the vine first. We enjoy them fresh as long as we can, but inevitably we have to do something when the supply becomes too great for us. I don't have canning supplies and don't especially love canned tomatoes.

1 comment: