Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Hemming Jeans - keeping the original hem, Method #2

As many of you may remember, I made a post a few months ago on how to hem jeans keeping the original hem . If you have forgotten, you can check it out here.

I have hemmed a few pairs of jeans that way and really like the outcome. However, it does take a bit of time. So today I tried another method for hemming jeans and keeping the original hem at the same time. I thought I would share:

Step 1:
Try your jeans on to decide exactly how much you need to take off. Divide that number in half and fold jeans up (bottom will be wrong side out). I took 3 inches off my jeans, so I folded them up 1 1/2 inches. Pin around both pant legs directly under the original hem.


Ste 2:
Use a zipper foot to sew a seam next to the old hem line. Do not catch any of the old hem! It will not lay correctly.


Step 3:
Iron your seam flat. Do this by laying your hem down and extra fabric up.


Step 4:
Once your hem is pressed flat, top stitch above the hem (the upper side of your first stitch line). This will give your pants a more finished look and will help your hem lay flat.


Step 5:
Cut away the extra fabric. You can zig-zag stitch the unfinished edge to help keep fray in check. I did not do this in the picture.


Finished!

I tried this method out on a pair of jeans I wanted to wear today. It was very quick! Can't beat that. The finished look is okay, but I still prefer my first method's appearance seen HERE . You can be the judge and pick the method you prefer! Good luck and enjoy those new pants!

No comments: